A child’s compensation settlement for an injury to his finger has been approved by a Circuit Court Judge.
The accident occurred in November 2011, when the boy in question was just sixteen months old. The boy cut his finger on the base of a fireplace purchased at B&Q. His parents rushed him to the Accident and Emergency Department of Crumlin Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a severed tendon. Another tendon in the finger was injured, as well as some blood vessels and a nerve.
The child had to undergo surgery – requiring general anaesthetic – to repair the damage. After he was discharged from the hospital, the toddler had to wear a cast. Five years later, the only sign of the injury is a scar which is expected to disappear as he grows up. He does not suffer from any residual pain.
Acting on the child’s behalf, the boy’s father sought legal counsel and made a claim for compensation against B&Q, as well as Focal Point Fires of London. In the claim, he alleged that they negligent in the manufacture of the fireplace. The two companies admitted liability for the injury and offered to pay €30,000 in compensation.
The family’s solicitors advised them to accept the settlement. However, as the claim was made on behalf of a child, it had to be approved by a judge. The case proceeded to the Circuit Court, where it was heard by Judge James O’Donohoe.
At the hearing, the family’s legal representatives told the judge of the accident and the nature of the injury sustained by the boy. Judge O’Donohoe was also told that the child had recovered use of his hand and that there was little chance of permanent scarring. He proceeded to approve the settlement.